Thursday 18 May 2017

Gema's Language Portfolio

Language biography
My name is Gema and I am 20 years old. I was born in Valencia and I live in Alaquàs, a quite village near Valencia. Therefore, my mother tongue is Spanish; however, I am able to speak Valencian because I started studying this language at Primary School.

Nowadays, I only speak Valencian in class or with some Valencian speaking friends. Apart from Spanish and Valencian, I am also able to speak English and a little bit of French. On the one hand, I had English as a foreign language subject in my education and I have never gone to any academy to study it. What I used to do was watching series in their original version. On the other hand, I studied French at high school during 5 years, but sadly I didn’t continued studying it

English has always been my favourite subject. For this reason I decided to become an English teacher, to share my passion to other people (my future students).


language dossier
I got my A2 English and French Certificate according to common European Framework of reference for languages when I was at High School. After that, I got my B2 English Certificate last year because like I am specializing as an English teacher I thought that it would be useful, and also to have more job opportunities.

In the case of Valencian, I got B1 level when I finished 4th ESO because Conselleria validates the title for having studied this subject since Primary School until that course.. However, I will try to get next year C1 level or Grau Mitjà according to La Junta Qualificadora de Coneixements en Valencià. 

language passport


According to Cambridge, getting the FCE implies having acquired the following skills that have to do with reading, grammar, writing, listening and speaking:
  • LISTENING: I can understand extended speech and lectures and follow even complex lines of argument provided the topic is reasonably familiar. I can understand most TV news and current affairs programmes. I can understand the majority of films in standard dialect;
  • READING: I can read articles and reports concerned with contemporany problems in which the writers adopt particular attitudes or viewpoints. I can understand contemporany literary prose;
  • WRITING: I can write clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects related to my interests. I can write an essay or report, passing on information or giving reasons in suport of or against a particular pont of view. I can write letters highlighting the personal significance of events and experiences; and
  • SPEAKING: I can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible. I can take an active part in discussion in familiar contexts, accounting for and sustaining my views. I can also present clear, detailed descriptions on a wide range of subjects related to my field of interest. I can explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.

No comments:

Post a Comment